No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • About Us
Home World

Mamdani Offers Free Childcare To Over 2,000 New York Children

The Programme Will Expand In 2027.

Sophia Joe by Sophia Joe
August 17, 2026
in World
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Mamdani Offers Free Childcare To Over 2,000 New York Children
Facebook

Strong Demand For 2-K

More than 2,000 children in New York City have been offered free 2-K childcare places after over 5,700 families applied during the city’s first application period. Mayor Zohran Kwame Mamdani and Governor Kathy Hochul announced the results after applications closed in June. Families applied for just over 2,000 available seats, leaving thousands without an initial offer.

Photo Credit : @NYC Mayor / X

The programme is designed for two-year-old children and gives families access to childcare without the usual cost. Each free 2-K place is expected to save a New York City family an average of $26,000 a year. The first places are being offered at childcare centres and family childcare homes across five school districts. Most of these places will also provide care throughout the full day and full year.

Most Families Get Top Choices

For many families, the offer also came from a programme they had hoped to attend. About 82% of families who received an initial offer were matched with one of their top three choices, while more than half got their first choice. The city said 99% of all offers went to programmes that families had included on their applications.

Screengrab of video

Mamdani announced more than 2,000 free places earlier this year as part of his partnership with Hochul to expand childcare in New York City. The first 2-K places are available across five initial school districts, with both childcare centres and family childcare homes taking part. The city plans to use the response from families to help decide where more places are needed as the programme grows.

Waitlists Remain Open

The city held several events to help families learn about 2-K before applications closed. Mamdani and Hochul visited the Sheldon R. Weaver Child Care Center on the Rockaway Beach Boardwalk when applications opened. Later, Mamdani joined New York Road Runners for a 2K for 2-K race at Fort Tryon Park, where families were encouraged to apply before the deadline. He also worked with rapper Cardi B and Washington Heights native Lin-Manuel Miranda on a 2-K jingle contest.

Screengrab of video

Nearly 13,000 New Yorkers voted for the winning song, which was recorded in English and Spanish. Families without an initial offer will receive information about waitlists as more places become available. Families can also join a 2-K waitlist even if they did not submit an application during the June period.

12,000 Seats Planned For 2027

The programme is set to grow again in 2027, when New York City plans to provide about 12,000 2-K places. Families on Staten Island will also be included in the expansion. The city said the response to the first application period will help shape plans for adding more places in the five districts already taking part. More seats could be added within those districts in the years ahead as the programme develops.

Screengrab of video

Mamdani has also set a longer-term target of making a 2-K place available to every New York City family that wants one by the end of his first term. Families who did not receive an initial offer do not need to give up their chance, as waitlists will remain available while additional seats open. The children receiving the first offers are expected to start this fall, marking the beginning of New York City’s first 2-K class.

See the post here:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More from Wake Up Singapore:

Driver’s Face Mask Had Everyone On The Road Doing A Double Take

Building collapses in front of stunned onlookers in Pereira, Colombia during deadly 7.4 earthquake

New Delhi defends foreign funding law as Modi and Netanyahu discuss closer India-Israel ties

If you have a story or a tip-off, email admin@wakeup.sg or get in touch via Whatsapp at 8882 5913.

Interested in advertising on our media channels? Reach out to us at admin@wakeup.sg!

Since you have made it to the end of the article, follow Wake Up Singapore on Telegram and X!

Wake Up Singapore is a volunteer-run site that covers alternative views in Singapore. If you want to volunteer with us, sign up here!

Previous Post

Heavy traffic pours into Sidon as Israeli strikes force families from southern Lebanon homes

Next Post

Hungry Cats Surround Fisherman, Desperately Trying to Get Food While Stranded

Related Posts

Hungry Cats Surround Fisherman, Desperately Trying to Get Food While Stranded
World

Hungry Cats Surround Fisherman, Desperately Trying to Get Food While Stranded

August 17, 2026
Heavy traffic pours into Sidon as Israeli strikes force families from southern Lebanon homes
World

Heavy traffic pours into Sidon as Israeli strikes force families from southern Lebanon homes

August 17, 2026
Next Post
Hungry Cats Surround Fisherman, Desperately Trying to Get Food While Stranded

Hungry Cats Surround Fisherman, Desperately Trying to Get Food While Stranded

Categories

  • Causes
  • Entertainment
  • Features
  • Finance
  • Home
  • Lebanon
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinions
  • Palestine
  • Politics
  • Resources
  • Singapore News
  • World
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2025 Wake Up, Singapore

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us

© 2025 Wake Up, Singapore