No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • About Us
Home World

Heavy traffic pours into Sidon as Israeli strikes force families from southern Lebanon homes

Monica Paing by Monica Paing
August 17, 2026
in World
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Heavy traffic pours into Sidon as Israeli strikes force families from southern Lebanon homes
Facebook

Families Flee Airstrikes

Hundreds of families fled towards Sidon on Saturday from towns and villages near the Israel-Hezbollah front, after Israeli airstrikes killed 11 people in Nabatieh district.

Footage shows heavy traffic on the road into Sidon, while the opposite direction is almost empty. Trucks loaded with belongings and mattresses, as well as vehicles carrying horses, can also be seen making their way towards the city.

Screengrab of the video

Mahdi Hanini, displaced from Majdal Salim, said his family was forced to leave the village for fear of further Israeli military operations, adding that he expected the situation to escalate.

Amer Saleh Obeid, displaced from Nabatieh, said his family had been forced to relocate repeatedly over the years. He claimed they would be targeted by the Israeli army if they returned home.

Death Toll Rises

“It would be better if the situation escalated again than if we lost one of our people every day. May God help the people. If tensions escalate, we pray that God grants them victory,” he added.

Lebanon’s Ministry of Health said the death toll from Saturday’s Israeli airstrikes had risen to 11, with 19 others wounded. Seven people were killed in Ansar and four in Deir al-Zahrani.

Screengrab of the video

The Israeli army said it had targeted “infrastructure belonging to the terrorist organisation Hezbollah in the Nabatieh and Ansar areas.” It said the strikes were in response to an operation carried out by Hezbollah against its forces in the Ali al-Taher Heights area.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun condemned the attacks, describing them as “violations that send a clear message regarding the negotiation process and US efforts aimed at implementing the framework agreement.”

Peace Talks Continue

The seventh round of direct negotiations between Lebanon and Israel ended in Rome last week under US auspices. The talks centred on an Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon, the deployment of the Lebanese Army and the future of Hezbollah’s arsenal.

The negotiations are taking place under the Framework Agreement signed on June 26. It sets out a phased process linking the restoration of Lebanese state authority and the verified disarmament of non-state armed groups to the gradual redeployment of Israeli forces from Lebanese territory, beginning with pilot zones.

Lebanon is demanding a complete Israeli withdrawal and the restoration of state sovereignty across the south. Israel says its withdrawal depends on the verified disarmament of Hezbollah and other non-state armed groups, along with further security arrangements.

Hezbollah is not taking part in the talks and has rejected the process, accusing the Lebanese government of bowing to US and Israeli pressure.

Article by Viory

More from Wake Up Singapore:

Iran displays mangled US, Israeli aircraft it says were brought down in fighting

‘The relationship is very good’ – Trump downplays Netanyahu rift after Israeli PM rejects his Gaza peace plan

Israeli forces patrol Zawtar Al-Sharqiyah, deploy among homes despite talks on phased withdrawal from southern Lebanon

If you have a story or a tip-off, email admin@wakeup.sg or get in touch via Whatsapp at 8882 5913.

 Interested in advertising on our media channels? Reach out to us at admin@wakeup.sg!

Since you have made it to the end of the article, follow Wake Up Singapore on Telegram and X!

Wake Up Singapore is a volunteer-run site that covers alternative views in Singapore. If you want to volunteer with us, sign up here!

Previous Post

Brad Pitt admits he’s drinking again after seven years sober

Next Post

Mamdani Offers Free Childcare To Over 2,000 New York Children

Related Posts

Mamdani Offers Free Childcare To Over 2,000 New York Children
World

Mamdani Offers Free Childcare To Over 2,000 New York Children

August 17, 2026
Malaysian Teacher Jailed After Slap Leaves Student With Permanent Hearing Loss
World

Malaysian Teacher Jailed After Slap Leaves Student With Permanent Hearing Loss

August 17, 2026
Next Post
Mamdani Offers Free Childcare To Over 2,000 New York Children

Mamdani Offers Free Childcare To Over 2,000 New York Children

Categories

  • Causes
  • Entertainment
  • Features
  • Finance
  • Home
  • Lebanon
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinions
  • Palestine
  • Politics
  • Resources
  • Singapore News
  • World
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2025 Wake Up, Singapore

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us

© 2025 Wake Up, Singapore