On 25 August, Israel bombed Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza, killing at least 21 people, including five journalists, several medics, and rescue workers.
The attack, described by doctors and witnesses as a “double-tap strike,” is one of the deadliest assaults on Gaza’s collapsing health system since the start of Israel’s nearly two-year genocide.
A Deadly “Double-Tap” Strike
According to hospital officials, the first missile hit the upper floor of the hospital, damaging a section used by journalists for live reporting. Minutes later, as reporters and rescuers rushed up an exterior staircase to assist, a second strike hit the same location. Dr. Ahmed al-Farra, head of the paediatrics department, said the timing left little doubt that the second blast was aimed at those attempting to save the wounded.
Those killed included Al Jazeera correspondent Mohammad Salama, Reuters cameraman Hussam al-Masri, freelancer Mariam Abu Daqqa who had been working for the Associated Press, and two other local journalists, Ahmed Abu Aziz and Moaz Abu Taha.
Their deaths brought the number of Palestinian journalists killed since October 2023 to at least 273, according to Al Jazeera.
Chaos and Panic Inside the Hospital
Eyewitnesses described scenes of terror as patients, doctors, and displaced families fled in confusion. Al Jazeera’s reporter Tareq Abu Azzoum said the attack spread panic among not only those nearby but also patients inside, many of whom had no safe place to go. He noted that hospitals should be among the most protected spaces under international humanitarian law, yet in Gaza they have repeatedly become battlegrounds.
Nasser Hospital had already endured raids and shortages, struggling to function amid Israel’s blockade of aid. Like al-Shifa Medical Complex and other health facilities, it has been hit several times throughout the genocide.
Global Condemnation of Targeted Attacks
Press freedom groups, rights advocates, and UN officials condemned the strike. Al Jazeera said the deliberate killing of its staff was an attempt to “bury the truth.” Francesca Albanese, the UN special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territory, called the deaths of rescuers and reporters part of a pattern of daily atrocities in Gaza, urging states to impose sanctions and an arms embargo on Israel.
Israel, according to the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate, is engaging in “an open war against free media” in an effort to stifle criticism of its atrocities. The Committee to Protect Journalists said the international community must finally hold Israel accountable after nearly two years of systematic attacks on reporters.
Israel’s Justifications Shift
In reaction, the office of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu first called the strike a “tragic mishap” and stated that a probe was in progress. The Israeli military later claimed it had targeted a surveillance camera allegedly used by Hamas, without providing evidence. Witnesses and video footage, however, show the equipment belonged to Reuters journalist Hussam al-Masri, who was livestreaming from the site when he was killed.

Al-Masri, a 49-year-old cameraman from Khan Younis, had been documenting the humanitarian catastrophe while living with his displaced family in a tent.
His colleagues described him as courageous and optimistic, known for saying “tomorrow will be better” even in the darkest conditions. Alessandra Galloni, editor-in-chief of Reuters, stated that the staff was devastated by his passing.
Escalating Death Toll in Gaza
Beyond Nasser Hospital, Israel intensified its bombardment across Gaza on Monday, killing at least 61 people since dawn, including seven civilians shot while trying to collect food aid. Gaza’s Civil Defence said more than 1,000 buildings had been destroyed in Gaza City in recent weeks, leaving hundreds trapped under rubble while tanks pressed deeper into urban areas.

According to Gaza’s Health Ministry, over 2,000 people have been killed and more than 13,000 wounded while seeking aid during the genocide, with Israeli forces regularly firing on distribution points. The UN’s humanitarian office warned that famine is worsening, particularly among children, with malnutrition rates climbing rapidly.
Journalists Under Fire
The latest killings follow a pattern. Earlier this month, Israel deliberately targeted Al Jazeera correspondent Anas al-Sharif, after months of vilifying him in official statements. Rights groups say such attacks show a consistent intent to intimidate or eliminate journalists documenting the genocide.
Despite international condemnation, accountability remains elusive. Israel has frequently promised investigations but rarely taken action. Meanwhile, Gaza remains the world’s most dangerous area for journalists, with around 200 journalists killed since the genocide started.
A Genocidal War Without End
As Washington continues to back Israel militarily and diplomatically, hopes for accountability appear slim. US President Donald Trump predicted the ‘war’ might reach a “conclusive end” within weeks, but similar claims in the past have quickly faded as the genocide drags on.
For many in Gaza, the killing of reporters like Hussam al-Masri symbolises both the unbearable human toll and the effort to silence those documenting it. His brother said Masri never stopped filming, even on days off: “The camera recorded everything — whether for or against us. The camera recorded whether there were Palestinian gunmen or Israeli occupation forces.”
Watch the videos here:
@benshlom7 The narrow staircase of Nasser Hospital is used by the journalist to get Internet connection. It was targeted by lsrael. Tangga yang sempit ini digunakan oleh para wartawan untuk mendapatkan akses internet. Cet escalier étroit est utilisé par les journalistes pour avoir accès à Internet. Esta escalera estrecha es utilizada por los periodistas para obtener acceso a internet. Questa scala stretta è usata dai giornalisti per avere accesso a internet. يَسْتَخْدِمُ الصَّحَفِيُّونَ هٰذَا السُّلَّمَ الضَّيِّقَ لِلحُصُولِ عَلَى خِدْمَاتِ الإِنْتَرْنِت. המדרגות הצרות האלה משמשות עיתונאים כדי לקבל גישה לאינטרנט. Credit: @abd.pix Video: Middle East Eye #palestine #palestino #gaza #israel
@translating_falasteen “I am broken, lost after my father… who will treat my mother, the cancer patient?” These were the painful words of 15-year-old Ahmad Al-Masri, son of martyred journalist Hossam Al-Masri, as he held his father’s camera that never left his side until the moment he was killed in the massacre of journalists at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis. Hossam, despite his own exhaustion, raced against time searching for treatment for his wife, Samaher, who is battling cancer. He looked at her with helplessness as she fought for her life, but he was killed before fulfilling his dream of saving her. He left behind a deep wound and a heavy burden on his young son Ahmad, who now carries the responsibility of trying to keep his mother alive. In Hossam’s memory, and in loyalty to his story and his camera, give Samaher a chance to survive by helping her access treatment abroad before she loses her battle, leaving Ahmad and his siblings alone to face this immense pain. amr.tabash
♬ Originalton – Translating Falasteen – Translating Falasteen
@g1 #gaza – Um ataque em sequência de Israel em um hospital no sul da Faixa de Gaza nesta segunda-feira (25) deixou 20 mortos, segundo o Ministério da Saúde de Gaza, controlado pelo grupo terrorista Hamas. Quatro vítimas eram jornalistas da imprensa internacional. Um deles trabalhava para a agência de notícias Reuters, de acordo com a pasta. Outra repórter era colaboradora da agência de notícias Associated Press. Os outros dois trabalhavam para a rede de TV árabe Al Jazeera. Imagens registraram, de dentro e de fora do hospital, o momento em que o segundo míssil atinge o hospital. As imagens são fortes. Clique em ‘leia o artigo’ para ler a reportagem completa. #israel #palestina #g1mundo #g1 #tiktoknotícias
@ajplus These are the 5 Palestinian journalists Israel killed in a “double tap” strike on Gaza’s Nasser Hospital. #Gaza #Palestine #Journalists #PalestinianJournalists #Israel
More from Wake Up Singapore:-
Football Fans in Manchester and Italian Coaches Demand FIFA Expel Israel Over Gaza Genocide
UK Police Arrest Visually Impaired Wheelchair User at London Palestine Protest
If you have a story or a tip-off, email admin@wakeup.sg or get in touch via Whatsapp at 8882 5913.
Interested in advertising on our media channels? Reach out to us at admin@wakeup.sg!
Since you have made it to the end of the article, follow Wake Up Singapore on Telegram and X!
Wake Up Singapore is a volunteer-run site that covers alternative views in Singapore. If you want to volunteer with us, sign up here!
If you can, please do consider buying a mug or two to support Wake Up Singapore’s work!