No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • About Us
Home Politics

UAE Nuclear Plant Strike Raises Global Alarm After IAEA Warns of Radioactive Risks

Officials confirmed radiation levels remained stable.

Wake Up Singapore by Wake Up Singapore
May 21, 2026
in Politics, World
Reading Time: 3 mins read
UAE Nuclear Plant Strike Raises Global Alarm After IAEA Warns of Radioactive Risks
Facebook

IAEA Warns of Serious Risks After Barakah Nuclear Plant Strike

Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Rafael Grossi warned that a ‘direct hit’ or disruption at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE would carry ‘undeniable risks’, during Tuesday’s United Nations briefing following a recent drone strike on the site.

Screengrab of video

“The situation, Mr President, is of grave concern. This is a nuclear site in the Middle East where the consequences of an attack could be most serious,” Grossi said.

“It is an operating nuclear power plant, and as such it hosts thousands of kilogrammes of nuclear material in the core of the reactors, fresh and spent fuel. I want to make it absolutely and completely clear. In case of an attack on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, a direct hit could result in a very high release of radioactivity to the environment,” he added.

Radiation Levels Stable After Drone Strike Incident

He continued to say that the IAEA’s emergency centre in Vienna had been monitoring the situation continuously after the incident, confirming that radiation levels remained stable and no casualties were reported.

Screengrab of video

Officials said the drone strike damaged an external electrical generator and forced the use of backup diesel systems before power was restored.

Russia Condemns Attack at United Nations Briefing

Russia’s Permanent Representative at the United Nations Vassily Nebenzia condemned the attack.

“Our country categorically condemns the actions of those who attacked the nuclear power plant in the territory of the United Arab Emirates,” he said.

Screengrab of video

He criticised UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, accusing him of ignoring “numerous attacks on the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant” in Iran as well as on the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant.

“Double standards and selective approaches on their part in regard to nuclear safety issues are unacceptable and should not be subject to political expediency. Mr Chairman, it is quite obvious that we would not have to discuss the arising issues today in the Middle East, the threats to nuclear, physical nuclear and radiological safety, if not for the military adventures of the United States and Israel against Iran,” he concluded.

UAE Says Drones Originated From Iraq

It comes after Abu Dhabi Media Office said on Sunday that authorities responded to a fire in an electrical generator located outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in Al Dhafra region.

Screengrab of video

The statement added that the fire was caused by a drone strike, but did initially not provide further details on the origin of the strike. On Wednesday, the UAE said that the drones that targeted its nuclear power plant last week came from Iraq.

Article by Viory

More from Wake Up Singapore:

If you have a story or a tip-off, email admin@wakeup.sg or get in touch via Whatsapp at 8882 5913.

Tourist Destinations

Interested in advertising on our media channels? Reach out to us at admin@wakeup.sg!


Since you have made it to the end of the article, follow Wake Up Singapore on Telegram and X!

Singapore local experiences

Wake Up Singapore is a volunteer-run site that covers alternative views in Singapore. If you want to volunteer with us, sign up here!

Previous Post

Congo Receives UNICEF Aid as Deadly Ebola Outbreak Spreads Across Eastern Provinces

Related Posts

Congo Receives UNICEF Aid as Deadly Ebola Outbreak Spreads Across Eastern Provinces
Politics

Congo Receives UNICEF Aid as Deadly Ebola Outbreak Spreads Across Eastern Provinces

May 21, 2026
“What am I supposed to do with this?” — Customer Distraught After Receiving Wrong Order of Plastic Chairs
Entertainment

“What am I supposed to do with this?” — Customer Distraught After Receiving Wrong Order of Plastic Chairs

May 21, 2026

Categories

  • Causes
  • Entertainment
  • Features
  • Finance
  • Home
  • Lebanon
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinions
  • Palestine
  • Politics
  • Resources
  • Singapore News
  • World
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact

© 2025 Wake Up, Singapore

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Causes
      • Resources
  • Features
    • Opinions
  • Lifestyle
    • Finance
  • World
  • About Us

© 2025 Wake Up, Singapore