Rescue Teams Recover Bodies Maldives
Maldivian rescue teams located the bodies of four missing Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in Vaavu Atoll on Monday, four days after they disappeared during a deep-sea expedition.
Footage shows rescue boats heading towards the search area, as coast guard divers coordinated with officials onboard during the recovery operation.

The discovery came after the body of a fifth Italian diver, who was reportedly working as a diving instructor, had been found outside the cave system earlier.
Expedition Exceeded Recreational Depth Limits
According to authorities, the group had been exploring a cave at a depth of around 50 metres on Thursday, well beyond the Maldives’ recreational diving limit of 30 metres.

Search operations were briefly suspended after a Maldivian military diver died during a dangerous mission attempting to reach the missing group inside the cave.
Bodies Found Deep Inside Cave
Government officials said the four bodies were eventually located by three Finnish diving experts working alongside Maldivian police and military teams.

According to local media, government spokesperson Ahmed Shaam said the bodies were found close together ‘well inside the cave,’ in what he described as the third and largest section of the underwater system.
Officials said plans were underway to recover two bodies on Tuesday, with the remaining two expected to be retrieved the following day.
Vessel Operations Suspended Maldives
Presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said authorities had allowed the group to conduct research on soft corals at the Devana Kandu dive site, but stressed that officials had not been informed the expedition involved cave diving.

Authorities also suspended operations of the vessel used by the group, the MV Duke of York, after officials said it lacked the required dive school permit needed for conducting diving expeditions in the Maldives.
According to reports, boat operator Abdul Muhsin Moosa said the vessel had permission for recreational dives up to 30 metres and insisted the divers had been informed about local depth restrictions before entering the water.
Article by Viory
More from Wake Up Singapore:
If you have a story or a tip-off, email admin@wakeup.sg or get in touch via Whatsapp at 8882 5913.
Interested in advertising on our media channels? Reach out to us at admin@wakeup.sg!
Since you have made it to the end of the article, follow Wake Up Singapore on Telegram and X!
Wake Up Singapore is a volunteer-run site that covers alternative views in Singapore. If you want to volunteer with us, sign up here!



